Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Proteins, Animals, Books, and Fashion

I've been working on an assignment for my analytical genomics using the program SwissModel. I submitted a protein with unknown structure and the program found related protein with known structure and threaded my sequence onto a template to predict its structure. Here's what came out:
Isn't she lovely? Yes, I chose the pink - just because it's super nerdy doesn't mean I can't make it pretty! This program is really cool because is the main player in dictating a protein's function so if we can find out what it looks like then we can (potentially) find out what it does. Of course, this all depends on the size of you databases! Any-who, I won't bore you with this but I thought I'd share it because its pretty cool.

My friend Andrew Quinlan (@quinilan) posted a website on Twitter that made me smile and I thought I'd pass it on. How can you resist baby animals?? Check it out here (hyperlinking is fun) but here are some of my favourites:




And a video from the website for my brother:
They update the website whenever new animals are born in zoos around the world! Super cute!

A final piece of business for today: possibly the nicest studio I've seen (not that I've seen many studios... maybe I should say its the nicest work room I've seen). Check out this piece from StyleCaster about Karl Lagerfeld's design studio in France. Here's a quick peek:

Let me know what you think!
ps. follow me (@edenden) on Twitter!


1 comment:

  1. I love the elephants! They put a smile on my face. Too cute :)

    ReplyDelete